Critiquing the OECD’s Employment Protection Legislation Index for individual dismissals: The importance of procedural requirements
Key EU agencies have successfully urged member states to scale back employment protection legislation as a solution to unemployment. The economic arguments for this reform are mixed, with recent empirical evidence largely unsupportive. Critics have also raised doubts about the accuracy of the OECD’s Employment Protection Legislation Index, which is the principal method EU agencies use to target so-called high-protection regimes. This article supplements existing criticisms of the OECD index by arguing that it fails to account for procedural requirements in assessing the difficulties and costs of carrying out individual dismissals. Evidence from New Zealand, ostensibly a low-protection country, demonstrates procedural requirements can pose the main impediments to carrying out individual dismissals. This suggests the need for revision of the OECD Employment Protection Legislation Index or the use of other indices instead.
|Author(s)||M. Harcourt, G. Gall, A.S. Raman, H. Lam, R. Croucher|
|Year of publication||Jun, 2019|
|Journal||Economic and Industrial Democracy|
|Website / Document||Visit|
- The platform economy and social law: Key issues in comparative perspective, 2019. I. Daugareilh, C. Degryse, P. Pochet.
- Critiquing the OECD’s Employment Protection Legislation Index for individual dismissals: The importance of procedural requirements, 2019. M. Harcourt, G. Gall, A.S. Raman, H. Lam, R. Croucher.
- Is Profit Sharing Productive? A Meta‐Regression Analysis, 2019. H. Doucouliagos, P. Laroche, D.L. Kruse, T. D. Stanley.
- Input to the Netherlands Independent Commission on the Regulation of Work, 2019. OECD.
- Labour Law and Welfare Systems in an Era of Demographic, Technological, and Environmental Changes, 2019. M. Tiraboschi.
- Zelfstandigen Enquête Arbeid 2019, 2019. CBS, TNO.
- Zijn platformcoöperaties levensvatbaar? 2019. M. Arets, K. Frenken.
- Minder maatschappelijke participatie bij onzeker werk, 2019. F. Dekker.
- Integratie door werk: meer kansen op werk voor nieuwkomers, 2019. SER.
- Een stapsgewijze vaststelling van de categorie uitwisselbare functies, 2019. R. Rietveld, K. van Haaren.