Input to the Netherlands Independent Commission on the Regulation of Work
The Dutch labour market is among the top performers in the OECD – particularly when it comes to job quantity and job quality. Employment is high, unemployment low; workers, on average, earn high wages, and they face less labour market insecurity and experience less job strain than in most other OECD countries. Poverty among the working age population is comparatively low, but the employment gap for disadvantaged groups could be narrowed and the gender labour income gap is large (explained, to a large extent, by the high share of women in part-time employment).
Despite this relatively good performance, there are concerns in the Netherlands about the high level of, and strong growth in, non-standard employment. The Netherlands is an outlier in the OECD as far as non-standard employment is concerned. Almost one in five workers in the Netherlands are on a temporary contract (compared to one in eight less than two decades ago, and less than one in ten across the OECD on average). Only four OECD countries have seen an increase in self-employment over the past two decades and, of these, the Netherlands has experienced the fastest growth.
|Year of publication||Jun, 2019|
|Publisher||Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), Paris|
|Website / Document||Visit|
- Annual review of working life 2018, 2019. C. Aumayr-Pintar, C. Cerf, B. Surdykowska.
- Active Labor Market Programs for Youth: A Framework to Guide Youth Employment Interventions, 2019. W. Cunningham, M.L. Sanchez-Puerta, A. Wuermli.
- Individual Learning Accounts: Panacea or Pandora's Box? 2019. OECD.
- Still Seeking Coordination? Assessing German Employers’ Interests in the Digitalized Social Market Economy, 2019. J. Weckwerth, T. Weishaupt.
- Good intentions meet harsh realities: Social dialogue and precarious work in industrial cleaning, 2019. T.P. Larsen, M. Mailand, T. Schulten.
- De waarde van werk staat in Nederland onder druk, 2019. W.M. Been, P.T. de Beer.
- De ontslagbescherming van onderwijzend personeel, 2019. E. van Vliet.
- Zeggenschap over arbeid en technologie, 2019. F. Pot.
- Vaker aan het werk met een no-riskpolis? Evaluatie experiment vervroegde toekenning no-riskpolis, 2019. UWV.
- Publieke belangen en de regulering van digitale platformen, 2018. P. de Bijl, N. van Gorp.